Kanawha County Commission President Kent Carper, as is his manner and custom, has put himself in the middle of this controversy by:
- Demanding the County Commission vote on a resolution supporting table games, and then;
- Joining Danny Jones in beating the drum to pass the table games resolution, and then;
- Prematurely announcing that all ballots had been counted, and that the measure had passed by 60 votes, and then;
- Announcing that the final numbers meant that the measure had passed by 33 votes and proclaiming it a "great day for Kanawha County", and then;
- Saying that he felt the 64 ballots found on Monday should not be counted.
Could it be that his allegiance is swayed by the money that Tri State Casino donated to his election campaign?
I don't seriously think Commissioner Carper is corrupt, but he would be the first to exclaim, "Avoid the appearance of impropriety!"
He should practice what he preaches.